Jakaya Kikwete Biography, Life, Interesting Facts
Birth Place :
Birth Element :
Jakaya Kikwete is one of the world leaders from Tanzania. Not only was his one of the youngest Finance Ministers of the country, but also president of the country.
Childhood And Early Life
Jakaya Kikwete was born on October 7, 1950, in Msoga, Tanzania. His grandfather Mrisho Kikwete was a local chief. Before Tanzania got their independence from European control in 1961, his father Halfani Mrisho Kikwete was the District Commissioner. Kikwete was the sixth of nine children.
Jakaya Kikwete started his education at Karatu Primary School. Later he moved up to Tengeru School. Jakaya Kikwete completed his O-levels at Kibaha Secondary School before he attended the University of Dar es Salaam. He graduated in 1975 with a bachelor's degree in economics.
Much of Kikwete's leadership skills are credited to his service in the military. Jakaya Kikwete went through training from 1972 to 1976. He served in the Tanzanian Army and was promoted up to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. His roles in the Army were both militaristic and political.
Jakaya Kikwete joined the Cabinet in 1988 and served the central government for six years. In 1994, Jakaya Kikwete was appointed as the Minister of Finance. Jakaya Kikwete was one of the youngest finances members at the age of 44.
The next year, Jakaya Kikwete was appointed as the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. His service for ten years made him the longest-serving foreign minister in the country's history. Jakaya Kikwete ran for president of Tanzania in 2005. Jakaya Kikwete won the election and continued to help the people of his country as well as his African neighbors. From 2008 to 2009, Jakaya Kikwete also served as the chairperson of the African Union.
After Jakaya Kikwete completed his two terms as president, Kikwete remains active. Early in 2016, Jakaya Kikwete was appointed as a member of the African Union High Representative in Libya during the country's crisis. That same year Jakaya Kikwete was appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations as a member of the Lead Group of the Scaling Up Nutrition Movement. Also in 2016, Jakaya Kikwete joined the Harvard Ministerial Leadership Program Advisory Board.
Personal Life And Legacy
Jakaya Kikwete married Salma in 1989. The couple has eight children as well as one who was adopted. It is his second marriage.
Since Jakaya Kikwete was established as president of the country, Jakaya Kikwete has worked to be approachable. Jakaya Kikwete also made a positive impact on the lives of the Tanzanians. Under his leadership, inflation dropped. Jakaya Kikwete helped the national economy grow while removed foreign debt. The Kikwete Bridge across the Malagarasi River is named after him as well a 12-kilometer highway and many facilities.
Philanthropic Works / Humanitarian Work
As an avid basketball fan, he has been a patron of the Tanzania Basketball Federation.
Awards And Achievements
• Most Excellent Order of the Pearl of Africa (Grand Master), 2007
• The AAI African National Achievement Award (on behalf of Tanzania), 2007
• Order of the Green Crescent of the Comoros, 2009
• Order of the Abdulaziz Al Saud, 2009
• Order of Excellence, 2009
• US Doctors for Africa Award, 2009
• Social Good Award from the United Nations Foundation, 2011
• Order of Oman (First Class), 2012
• Africa's Most Impactful Leader of the Year by the Africa Leadership Magazine, 2013
• Icon of Democracy Award from The Voice Magazine of Netherlands, 2014
• Leadership Excellence Award by the Pan-African Youth Union, 2015
• African Achievers Award by the Institute for Good Governance in Africa, 2015
• African Statesman of the Year from The African Sun Times, 2015
• More than ten honorary academic awards from around the world
Summary Of Major Works
• Youngest Minister for Finance at the age of 44 in 1994
• Longest serving Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
• 4th President of Tanzania, 2005-2015
More People From Tanzania
More Libra People
Leopold Sedar Senghor
Henry Hobson Richardson